Saturday, May 29, 2010

LOST?

If I was a savvy computer person- my upload (or download- never know which) picture would be from the TV show LOST. I have watched LOST from day#1 and have loved it. It was a cliffhanger week to week- you didn't want the story to end- just like a great book! Well, this week LOST ended after 6 years and I watched it with a lot of excitment and sadness because I just didn't want it to end. The show began as some type of mystery story about a plane crashing on a remote island, and got you involved in all the mysterious things that were happening on this island and who were all these people now stuck there. The show ended a lot more spiritually. I can't get into trying to explain all this because it would not make sense to anyone who wasn't a watcher of the show- I couldn't do it justice! Let's just say the concept of good vs. evil was introduced along with the idea of the after life= heaven.

A synopsis (as best as I can explain): The main character, Jack gets stuck on this island and doesn't really know his purpose in life. After what seems like a lifetime of struggles endured- Jack realizes his purpose- and on his deathbed he feels a sense of accomplishment as he has saved the other survivors, and at that point he could finally let go of all life's guilt, pressures, self doubt and pass on knowing he succeeded. Waiting for him in heaven was everyone from the island that meant the most to him. And they celebrated.

Okay, I know it's cheesy to find a lesson in a tv program- but...

I cried more watching this tonight then when I first saw it. I'm not sure why?? I have a couple ideas:

One: it was a well written show with killer dramatic music and after the six years you really grew to love the characters on the show and truly didn't want it to end.

Second idea: I started watching this with my husband six years ago. This was "our" show. We would try to get the kids to bed FAST so we could sit and watch it uninterrupted!!! (We didn't and still don't have a DVR) We loved watching it. But, a lot has happened in six years and at the end of it all we watched the finale separately. It marked an end to something we had together.

Third idea: Anytime you start to think of your own mortality- it gets (at least for me) a bit scarey. Wouldn't it be nice to know at the end of your life while you're on your deathbed, you would feel like you succeeded in this life> that you did what you were meant to do. And after you pass and are in heaven, that you find everyone that mattered to you in your life> and you celebrated with them! Death would not be the end.

Fouth Idea: I'm tired and everything is a little dramatic right now?

I believe it's a combination of all four- plus a lesson (or challenge) to find out what my purpose in this life is and to succeed with God's help.

Am I still LOST on this road?

No comments:

Post a Comment